TECNALIA-Facilities for BIPV systems
- Capabilities, facilities and equipment (SW, characterization devices) to offer services in the field of BIPV systems: optical/mechanical/thermal simulations
- PV modules & devices characterization
- indoor and outdoor testing of BIPV modules and BOS, etc.
BIPV-TECNALIA comprises a set of capabilities, facilities and equipment (SW, characterization devices) which allows TECNALIA to offer services in the field of BIPV systems: optical/mechanical/thermal simulations, PV modules & devices characterization, indoor and outdoor testing of BIPV modules and BOS, etc.
TECNALIA’s facilities on BIPV systems allow to design, develop and test any sort of PV product / solution in the frame of “photovoltaic in buildings” systems, for the whole value chain of the BIPV technology, taking advantages of a great compilation of equipment, capabilities and experience. It includes services for both (1) BIPV modules and (2) BOS components, typically power conversion systems (inverters, module level power electronics-MPLE) and energy management systems (EMS, including storage-based solutions). Designs and solutions are then tested at lab level and/or in outdoor conditions, thanks to TECNALIA’s infrastructures in this field (e.g. KUBIK), and for BIPV modules, tests under the new BIPV standards can be offered. In total, 16 researchers work in this field in TECNALIA.
MAIN TECHNICAL FEATURES:
Simulation, design, evaluation
- Ray tracing optical design software: ZEMAX EE plus in-house developed algorithms
- Optical and thermal simulation of glazing elements: in-house developed algorithms
- Optical simulation of multilayer coatings: TFCalc, CODE
- Mechanical and thermal simulation finite elements software: NX
- BIPV systems simulation software (PV + building energy performance) developed in collaboration with external partners
- Building energy performance simulation, e.g. Design Builder
- Development and evaluation tools for Maximum Power Point Tracking algorithms: solar simulator, simulators of photovoltaic field
PV modules manufacturing
- Tabber & stringer
- Vacuum laminators
- Curing ovens
- Coating deposition (PVD, sol-gel)
PV modules and devices characterization
- Solar simulator and cell tester
- Internal and external quantum efficiency
- UV-Vis-NIR spectrophotometer and integrating sphere
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy, DSC
- Optical microscopy: RAMAN, SEM, AFM
Laboratory testing on BIPV modules according to construction and BIPV standards
- Reaction and resistance to fire
- Luminous and solar characteristics
- Resistance to atmospherical agents (air, water, wind)
- Durability testing to BIPV modules as construction products
- Load testing
- Impact testing
- Combined rain and wind load testing for BIPV modules
Modules and inverters testing according to PV standards
- Climatic chambers: UV, temperature-humidity, Kesternich, salt spray fog
- Laboratory for testing and certification of inverters (efficiency measurements and requirements for grid connection
- Test bench for cells and storage systems (cycle efficiency, SoH)
- Electromagnetic compatibility laboratory (notified body for EMC European Directive)
- Outdoor testing platforms in the Basque Country (North Spain) and Andalucía (South Spain)
LIMITATIONS OR CONSTRAINTS:
Access will be allowed under specific contractual conditions to be negotiated between TECNALIA and the interested parties.
TYPICAL SERVICES OR RESULTS
- Simulation, design, evaluation of BIPV solution in the whole value chain
- BIPV modules and devices characterization
- BIPV modules manufacturing, with different cell technologies, materials.
- Laboratory testing on BIPV modules according to construction and BIPV standards
- Outdoor testing
- Modules and inverters testing according to PV standards
LIST OF SERVICES AGAINST PAYMENT
- Design and prototyping of advanced PV concepts for BIPV modules, including novel materials and processes.
- Optical, thermal, electrical and mechanical simulation of BIPV products / designs
- Hardware/Firmware design of control and power conversion systems typically used in the building environment (microinverters, power optimizers, inverters)
- Development of Energy Management Systems under different scenarios (self-consumption with batteries, load control and generation & demand prediction)
- Laboratory testing of BIPV modules (photovoltaic, construction and new BIPV standards) and inverters
- BIPV systems monitoring in outdoor platform
- BIPV systems demonstration at building level
Participation to Research Projects:
- PVSITES: Building-integrated technologies and systems for large scale market deployment, H2020 Innovation Action.
- BFIRST: Building-integrated fibre-reinforced solar technology, FP7.
- BIPV INSIGHT: Development of a standardized software tool for performance prediction of BIPV products, KIC InnoEnergy.
- SPHERES: Building integrated PV glass based on spherical silicon solar cells (2015-2017). National project with international consortium
- SLIGHT: PV module based in composite materials for their integration in the building sector. National project