UPM-PV system quality control facilities
- Testing, monitoring, failure detection and modelling of PV plants
Technological services are mainly devoted to the evaluation of large PV plants performance, as well on establishing quality control systems by:
- the estimation of yearly energy yield, as a function of the site and the characteristics of a PV plant;
- testing of both electrical performance and PID of PV modules and plants;
- comparison of the estimation and the actual energy production, through a procedure to analyse the performance of the PV plant
The infrastructures is based on
- Simulation Platform “SISIFO”
- Quality control of PV modules
- Outdoor lab
MAIN TECHNICAL FEATURES:
1.- Simulation Platform “SISIFO”
- SISIFO is an online, free-software, simulator of PV systems developed at IES-UPM.
2.- Outdoor lab for quality control of PV modules
- Solar box: for the characterization of the power of PV modules at real Sun and at STC, and also the efficiency variation with the irradiance.
- Triphase PV system: replicating multiMW PV plants. It is used to test the PID propensity.
- LID testing bench: to measure their Light Induced degradation.
- Capacitive electronic loads: Used to measure the PV module I-V curves.
3.- Indoor lab for quality control of PV
- Accelerated tests for PID detection.
- Electroluminiscence: for the detection of micro-cracks or cells damaged by PID.
- Sun simulator: to characterize I-V curves
4.- In-field infrastructure for quality control of PV plants
- Outdoor I-V curves with home-made twin apacitive electronic loads.
- PV plant characterization: composed of reference PV modules, multimeters, wattmeters, termographic camera and multiMW capacitive load.
- Operation monitoring and performance failure detection: The PVET software allows continuous diagnosis of plant operation.
5.- Battery integration in PV plants Lab
- Composed of a 18kW PV generator, inverter, battery charger, 10 kWh Li-ion battery, PXI
- Real Time Labview and programmable loads
- Domotic home allowing actual consumption profiles.
6.- PV pumping Lab
- Composed of a PV generator, bench with different frequency converters, irrigation automatisms, and simulators of loads and triphase electrical network.
LIMITATIONS OR CONSTRAINTS :
The access will be allowed with technical and scientific assistance from staff of the Instituto de Energía Solar (UPM)
TYPICAL SERVICES OR RESULTS
- Preparation of Reference PV modules
- PV module electrical performance and PID
- Acceptance Tests of PV plants
- Estimation of PV plant
- PV plant characterization
- PV plant operation evaluation
- Development of energy management strategies
- Battery characterization
- Development of PV pumping control algorithms
- Acceptance Tests of PV irrigation plants
- PV irrigation plant characterization
LIST OF SERVICES AGAINST PAYMENT
Prices will be provided on specific services under request.
Participation to Research Projects:
- PVCROPS: PhotoVoltaic Cost r€duction, Reliability, Operational performance, Prediction and Simulation
- MASLOWATEN: MArket uptake of an innovative irrigation Solution based on LOW WATer-ENergy consumption.
- Acceptance tests for more than 70 multi-magawatt PV plants in bankability procedures
- PVET tool at qpv.es