EU PVSEC2018- 35th European PV Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition
The EU PVSEC is the largest international Conference for Photovoltaic research, technologies and applications, and at the same time a top international PV Industry Exhibitions. It gathers the global PV community to conduct business, to network and to present and discuss the latest developments and innovations in Photovoltaics. It is the world renowned science-to-science, business-to-business and science-to-industry platform with a full and only focus on the global PV Solar sector.
The EUPVSEC is a fixed appointment in the calendar of PV experts and has been for decades. It gathers the global PV community to conduct business, to network and to present and discuss the latest developments and innovations in Photovoltaics. It is the world renowned science-to-science, business-to-business and science-to-industry platform with a full and only focus on the global PV Solar sector. The five-day Conference is complemented by the four-day Exhibition, held from Monday, 24 noon to Thursday, 27 September, that gives the opportunity to meet different target groups: the global PV community, from science and PV industry will gather at the EU PVSEC. Technologies, innovations and new concepts in the upstream PV sector are the main characteristics. From total participants about 50% is represented by PV researchers and 40% by PV industry.
This year conference programme, with more than 1,000 presentations, cover the entire range of PV research, technologies and applications, focusing on the latest scientific, technological and market-related trends and provides an overview on the latest R&D in photovoltaic technology from the leading global researchers of institutes, universities and solar companies. Now that Photovoltaic Solar Energy is becoming a major electricity source, the EU PVSEC extended its focus to applied and policy-oriented topics. The EU PVSEC thus strengthens its established leading role in science and technology among the players of the global PV sector.
The 35th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference (EU PVSEC) ended after 5 days of intensive scientific debates on the further development of solar power with a strong message. “While solar is already the lowest cost power generation source in many places in the world, it is now about speeding up the efforts to quickly utilizing this unique clean and distributed power technology to combat climate change,” said Dr. Pierre Verlinden, Conference General Chairman, at the closing ceremony. “We need 100%-decarbonized electricity generation to power all energy sectors and industrial processes – and PV will play a central role.
The EU PVSEC highlights included:
- PERC solar cell technology has become the new solar cell standard. Now it is about advancing cell technology to the next level. Passivating contacts, heterojunction and back contacts are the path to higher cell efficiencies.
- Silicon tandem research cells are approaching the 30% efficiency level: The best efficiency for an InGaP/GaAs/Si 3-junction cell presented was 28.7%.
- Thin-film solar technology continues its progress - a world record commercial CIGS thin-film solar module of over 18% was presented.
- With advanced silicon cell architectures being naturally bifacial, solar researchers and industry are all working on putting bifacial technology in the field. While gains of 20% are easily achievable, scientists are working on how to make best use of bifacial systems.
- Several researchers presented work on modelling future energy scenarios with up to 100% renewables based on solar as the central pillar.
Pierre Verlinden added, “In 2017, the PV industry has installed almost 100 GW of PV systems, equivalent to 39% of all new added global electricity generating capacity. We are very proud of the accomplishment of the PV research community and the global PV industry, and we are already looking forward to next year’s EU PVSEC.”
- The 36th EU PVSEC will take place in Marseille, France, in September 2019.