TECNALIA- OPV solar cell processing and characterization facility
- OPV Cell/module encapsulation, characterization and aging
The infrastructure consist of following units
1. Encapsulation unit for cell and module encapsulation.
This line comprises vacuum laminator, autoclave, and moulds, tools and vacuum pumps for resin transfer moulding (RTM) and resin infusion process. This installation and equipments are set-up for thermoplastic and thermoset polymer processing. On the other hand, sol-gel laboratory and plasma polymerisation equipments are available for hybrid organic-inorganic coating development for glass-free flexible encapsulation layers
2. Solution processing unit
Utilized for the deposition of polymeric solutions and polymer-hole conductor dispersions, as well as metallic meshes. This line is composed by semiautomatic screen-printing machine, spin-coating equipment and lifts for controlled dipping process.
3. Electrochemical synthesis unit
it is utilized for inorganic semiconductor synthesis and conducting polymer synthesis. This unit includes anodizing cells, equipment for electrodeposition
through ionic liquids, and electropolymerisation cells. All equipments include a monitoring system and allow working in inert environments. They are placed in a 100.000 class clean-room operated under ISO 14644 and US Federal Standard 209D. Moreover, a Glove Box is available in the clean room if the material handling and synthesis conditions require its use.
4. Characterization unit
- The lab includes techniques for
- Characterisation of chemical composition, microstructural morphology and optical properties. The instrumentation comprises:
- SEM-EDS, AFM, XPS, FTIR
- Raman and UV-Vis spectroscopy
- Equipments for adhesion, hardness and scratch resistance of the encapsulation system.
- Equipments for gloss and colour change measurements of the modules.
- Equipments for accelerated lab tests include chambers for UV aging chamber,
- temperature and humidity cycling, and salt spray.
- Class A Solar Simulator Illuminated area: 22x22cm , Light intensity: 0.7-1.2kW/m2 Power range: I: 0.01—30A; V: 0.7—10V, Temperature range: 15-70ºC, Spectrum: AM1.5; Filters for discrete measurement at: 405, 450, 500, 550, 600,694, 800, 940nm 4ms flash
LIMITATION OR CONSTRAINTS
- The access will be allowed with technical and scientific assistance from TECNALIA
- Vacuum laminator : modules up to 60x60cm
TYPICAL SERVICES OR RESULTS:
- Durability study of new encapsulation systems.
- The climatic chambers can be modified as required by specific tests to introduce additional accelerating parameters or compounds
EXAMPLES OF RESEARCH PROJECTS:
- Study of barrier properties of encapsulants, sealants, etc.
- Study of degradation of the encapsulation system.