ZSW-PV Module Encapsulation lab
- Infrastructure for the realization and optimization of different types of encapsulations in glass-glass and other PV module types.
ZSW is one of the leading European research institutes in the fields of photovoltaics and new energy storage technologies with a strong expertise on thin-film photovoltaics, especially Cu(In,Ga)Se2 and organic solar cells.
As an industry-orientated research institute, ZSW cover the entire value chain, ranging from material research, prototype development and production processes to application systems, quality tests and market analyses.
The photovoltaic materials research group (MAT) operates two complete CIGS solar module manufacturing lines for 30 x 30 cm² glass substrates and for roll-to-roll coting of foils including versatile analytical equipment. New cost-effective deposition processes such as print technologies are being developed for new organic and inorganic semiconductor systems in a special laboratory.
In the materials research area, ZSW successfully transferred the CIGS technology into the industrial production line of Wuerth Solar (now Manz CIGS Technology GmbH). ZSW is the record holder for the world's most efficient lab cell with 22.6% and Its team’s long-standing experience in developing CIGS thin-film solar cells and modules is also being leveraged for industrial services in developing the more efficient process in realizing and analyzing the quality and stability of solar power modules.
- Link to the preparation of solar cells topic
- Link to the Printed solar cells (CIGS, Kesterite, Perovskite, Organic PV) topic
- Link to the Flexible solar cells and module topic
- Link to the Quality of PV modules and systems topic
- Link to the PV storage and own consumption topic
- Link to the Smart Grid topic
MAIN TECHNICAL FEATURES of ZSW Encapsulation lab:
Realization and optimization of different types of encapsulations in glass-glass and other PV module types.
- Module Dimension Capacity: Up to 143 cm * 77 cm * 2.5 cm
Operating Temperature: Up to 180°C
- Lamination Pressure: Vacuum to atmospheric pressure. A diaphragm is used to apply laminating pressure
LIMITATIONS OR CONSTRAINTS :
The access will be allowed with technical and scientific assistance from ZSW. Installations offered as ZSW services will need a previous offer from the Technological Services Office
TYPICAL SERVICES OR RESULTS
On behalf of customers, ZSW:
- realizes and optimizes encapsulation for CIGS solar cells and other thin film modules, organic and more conventional cSi PV modules
- carries out analyses and characterization of solar cells and modules.
- analyses the quality and stability of solar power modules (in the Solab module test lab and at the Widderstall test facility)
LIST OF SERVICES AGAINST PAYMENT
Participation to Research Projects:
- Micro solar cells for the cost-effective manufacture of highly efficient solar modules in the n the context of the EU’s CHEETAH
- CIGS-Processes with high deposition rates (speedCIGS)
- Sharc25 project aims for 25% efficiency in thin-film solar cells
Technology transfer with CIGS thin-film solar cells on glass substrates