- Epitaxial growth of PV materials and cells
- Metal Organic Vapour Phase Epitaxy (MOVPE) and Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE).
- MOVPE and MBE epitaxy of III-V semiconductor structures on virtually any kind of substrate up to 4” diameter, including assistance in the design of the process routine. Structures of any kind (test, solar cell, LED, etc) are in scope.
- Fabrication of small batches of III-V epi for prototyping.
- Analysis of epitaxy processes by in-situ monitoring using spectroscopic and transient reflectivity, reflectance anisotropy and pyrometer-based wafer temperature.
- Development of new materials and processes, testing of new precursors, etc.
MAIN TECHNICAL FEATURES:
1.- Low-pressure metal-organic vapor-phase epitaxy (MOVPE)
- Model: AIXTRON 200/4. Capacity: 1x4”, 3x2”, 1x2” wafer.
- Wide range of arsenide, phosphide and antimonide III-V materials can be grown.
- Research-scale reactor with capacity for production of small batches thanks to its 1x4” and 3x2” configurations.
- In-situ monitoring tool EpiRAS/TT allows in-situ measuring of surface characteristics, growth rate and true temperature during process.
- High performance III-V multijunction solar cells are routinely grown in this reactor.
2.-Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE)
- GEN10 System made by Veeco.
- Wafers are uploaded automatically in the growth chamber from a cluster chamber than can store wafers ready for their use.
- Growth recipes to grow up to 12 wafers without interruption before the system would need to be reloaded with wafers.
- III/V compounds based on Al, Ga, As and In using Be and Si as dopant
- The system can be upgraded with a second and third growth chambers if the project would demand it.
- RHEED system to monitor crystal growth
- Bandit for temperature control during growth.
- Digital camera attached to the RHEED and the in-house software capable of processing the signal of the camera in real time to monitor, for example, RHEED oscillations in order to determine semiconductor growth rates.
LIMITATIONS OR CONSTRAINTS :
- The access will be allowed with technical and scientific assistance from staff of the Instituto de Energía Solar (UPM)
TYPICAL SERVICES OR RESULTS
- Growth and characterization of multijunction solar cells
- Growth and characterization of intermediate band solar cells
LIST OF SERVICES AGAINST PAYMENT
MOVPE growth services will be priced once the scope of the planned experiments is established.
MBE growth services are done with the following reference prices:
Participation to Research Projects:
- NGCPV: A New Generation of Concentrator PhotoVoltaic cells, modules and systems, 2011-2013, 7th FP
- LONGESST: Low Cost Germanium Substrates for Next Generation 4-Junction Space Solar Cells Utilising Dilute Nitride Technology 2014-2017, 7th FP
- AMADEUS: Next generation materials and solid state devices for ultra high temperature energy storage and conversion 2017-2019, H2020