ENEA-CHEETAH webinar facility
- CHEETAH e-learning platform offers on- line workshop and webinars, on-line tests and experiments, on-line meetings with internal and external stakeholders
- The facility is open on request also to external users interested to share knowledge
Based on the success and the fruitful results and experiences of the SOPHi@Webinar, the internal e-learning platform of FP7-SOPHIA, CHEETAH KEP developed and a more powerful e-learning platform named CHEETAH Webinar. It offers webinars, on-line tests and experiments and on-line meetings with internal and external stakeholders. It reppresent now a well know webinar facility infrastructure open on request also to external users interested to share knowledge
- Electronic conferencing is very powerful for knowledge exchange. It requires no more than a set of interconnected computers with suitable software and hardware. Participants can connect with conferences and workshops at their convenience, regardless of their time zone and geographical location
- Web conferencing is time saving, it reduces travel costs, video conferences enhance the possibilities for all to interactively review a subject, allowing them to share efficiently ideas, documents, conclusions and concerns.
- There are no limitations on event location and it can be realized by laptops, tablets and mobile phones and can be followed from everywhere.
- Involvement of participants can focus on the topic issues of direct interest, saving time from topics in which they are not involved or interested. Storage and streaming of produced output is very useful also to review the informative content. In fact the acquired material (i.e. slides and video presentations ) can be easily distributed by webcasting them even after the event
KEY ROLES FOR CHEETAH WEBINAR (see photo below)
- Presenter (Speaker/teacher) researcher/scientist offering the seminar on line. A local audience can also follow lecture/presentation on site
- Moderator/Host (Chairperson(s)) The organizers and managers of the event. They introduce and give the floor to the speakers, they manages questions/comments to the speaker by “chat” or directly by microphone at the end of presentation
- On Line Participants (Audience/classrooms) : the groups of students/researchers or individuals who follow the event on line
ON LINE EVENTS TYPICALLY OFFERED:
- Lectures and short on-line courses focused on best practice in the utilization of infrastructures, equipment, realization of experiments and test procedures (WP2);
- Lectures on specific technical-scientific aspects and dissemination of CHEETAH results/output (WP3 and WP4);
- Webinars concerning strategy in PV RTD, market and interaction with industries (WP4 and WP5)
A modular series of web-courses targeted to researchers and PhD students have been proposed proposed. This new MOOC-Massive Open Online Courses “learning PV at CHEETAH speed” lead by UPM are offered to students dedicating 5-20 hours to provide them tools to address specific PV-related topics that may help in their own work.
MAIN TECHNICAL FEATURES:
For technical information click here
Several software and service providers offer tools useful to support webconferencing (Adobe Connect, Cisco WebEx, Citrix On-line, Microsoft Lync, Moodle, SkyPe, GoToMeeting, WoWza,etc)
The CHEETAH webinar platform designed and powered by ENEA is based on the use of CHEETAH Knolwedge Exchange Platform and it is based for the teelconferencing on ENEA corporate Adobe Connect platform. It runs on a production infrastructure consisting of two clusters servers located in Portici Data Centers running on ENEA supercomputing Cresco-Centro computazionale di RicErca sui Sistemi COmplessi (nominally Computational Center for Complex Systems Research) http://www.cresco.enea.it/.
A third staging server is used to test patches and configuration changes. The location of the server in the DMZ-perimeter network dedicated to log-in and streaming, uses a direct connection by fiber network connected to GARR, the Italian Academic & Research Network http://www.garr.it/, based on high-bandwidth circuits up to 10 Gbps, using various technologies such as DWDM, SDH and MPLS. The meshed topology ensures ultra high speed connection, a high level of resilience and reliability of the network. All communications between clients and server utilize SSL certificates issued by TERENA.
ENEA is licensed "on-premise" that is, all data is stored on HW ENEA and fully managed by internal staff, to ensure the maximum security of the data. In the event of a serious HW accident, the current architecture is designed to return operational in terms of minutes
LIMITATIONS OR CONSTRAINTS :
There are no limitation for the live participants. CHEETAH Kowledge exchange Platform (KEP) offers open free access to any interested student/younger scientist but we point out that for the privacy rules and for the reporting activity we need of the user registration to the KEP.
On request this infrastructure is also offered free of charge to external users interested to organize online webinar/workshop with the aim to foster knowledge exchange
TYPICAL SERVICES OR RESULTS
- Organization of on-line workshops and webinars from their dissemination, early registration management, live participation, post event streaming access and management of produced outputs (slides, video, documents, etc)
- on-line tests and experiments where local users can live interact and remotely with scientist, professionals, students
- on-line meetings with internal and external stakeholders
The infrastructure is also open or request to external users interested to share knowledge in the frame of joint collaborations.
LIST OF SERVICES AGAINST PAYMENT
The access to the platform is offered for free. Also the organziation of on-line events is offered for free in the frame of joint collaboration in research
Participation to Research Projects:
- CHEETAH - Cost-reduction through material optimisation and Higher EnErgy outpuT of solAr pHotovoltaic modules - joining Europe’s Research and Development efforts in support of its PV industry (FP7)
- SOPHia Photovoltaic Research Infrastructure project (FP7)
BFIRST Building-Integrated, Fibre-Reinforced Solar Technology project (FP7)