HZB-TCO sputter deposition 30 x 30cm2
- Deposition of ZnO and ZnO:Al for small area cells and module test structures
The HZB maintains a central baseline window deposition and characterization effort as a service for the various groups doing in-house and project research on different chalcopyrite absorbers and buffer layers. The primary goal is to provide window layers with high throughput and reproducibility, fast sample return and full documentation.
The baseline is equipped with two deposition systems operatedby well trained dedicated staff.
- The smaller one can be used for up to 5x5 cm2 substrates without substrate heating. It has three cathodes for RF sputtering and is used for the deposition of (Zn,Mg)O and ZnO:Al. The system is in sputterdown configuration which means that samples can have arbitrary dimensions within the limits of the deposition area.Flexible substrates can be coated if delivered in suitable frames.
- The larger system is a von Ardenne VISS300 for substrates up to 30x30 cm2 with substrate heating. It has three cathodes for RF, RF/DC and DC reactive sputtering. It is used exclusively for ZnO and ZnO:Al deposition. The target compositions are adapted to our in-house requirements andcannot be changed.
Both systems are equipped with load-lock chambers
- Transparent and conductive ZnO films on substrates up to 30x30 cm2
- RF or DC sputtering
- Contact grid evaporation
- Material and cell characterization; structural, optical, electrical properties
LIMITATIONS OR CONSTRAINTS :
- Targets have fixed composition and cannot be exchanged
- Exclusive use not possible
- Substrates must have certain sizes
- Known to work well for chalcopyrite-based cells, other materials may have to be rejected if they pose danger to system (contamination) or personnel (toxicity)
TYPICAL SERVICES OR RESULTS
High quality, transparent and conductive ZnO films with thicknesses in the range of 0.1 -1 μm can be provided for cells and sub-modules in substrate or superstrate configuration. These films are known to work well for chalcopyrite-based devices and several record efficiencies have been realized since the service has been established
Participation to Research Projects:
Development of different types of chalcopyrite-based solar cells and modules