CRES KAPE-Photovoltaic Systems and Distributed Generation Department (PSDGD)
- PV component
- PV systems and distributed generation
- Indoor Qualification and Testing Investigation Objectives: Investigation of the efficiency of the PV modules and PV cells at STC conditions according to IEC 60891.
- Outdoor Qualification and Testing Objectives: Investigation of the performance of PV Cells, Modules and Strings, by using natural light (the Sun) for measuring the characteristic I-V curves of PV Cells, Modules and Strings and calculating their critical performance parameters.
- Outdoor PV Module Long Term Testing Objectives: Investigation of the PV Module annual energy yield, in Athens (under real conditions), as well as the temperature coefficients calculation
- PV module degradation, Lifetime & Reliability Objectives: Investigation of the lifetime of the PV-modules exposed to UV and extrem enviromental conditions.
- I-V characterization Objectives: Investigation of the efficiency of the PV cells at STC conditions according to IEC 60891
- IR Imaging & Thermography Objectives:Thermographic characterization of PV modules and cells.
The infrastructure owns:
- PV Modules: class "A" solar simulator featuring a Xenon flash lamp and a computerised control and data acquisition system, for the acquisition of IV curves of PV modules
- Solar Cell: class "A" solar simulator featuring a continuous Xenon lamp and a computerised control and data acquisition system, for the acquisition of IV curves of PV cells (Fig 1b).
- Light intensity control from 50 W to 1600W
- Dark I-V measurements from -10 V to +10 V
- Temperature control
- Up to 20 cm x 20 cm PV cells
Field IV curve tracer by h.a.l.m. elektronik
- A battery-powered portable solar-module and string outdoor-measurement device. The current and voltage measurements performed with 16-bit (4-wire measurement of IU-curve and selectable number of data points per curve up to 512) and temperature measurement with 10-bit resolution (-20...80°C). The irradiance measurement performed through different types of referring cells (mono, poly, a-Si and 0 -1200 W/m2). A Separate PT100 sensor is used for the measurement of PV module temperature (measurement range -20 ... 80°C). The portable IV curve tracer has two measurement ranges. The first one is up to 5 kW (250V & 20A) and the second one is between 5 and 100kW (1000V & 100A. The portable IV curve tracer incorporates three 16-bit A/D-converters for the simultaneous measurement of the current, the voltage and the irradiance signals. This allows the point by point correction of the current and voltage signal to standardize testing conditions even when the sun irradiance is fluctuating
- Two PV module pairs (up to 350W each one and with maximum current and voltage values 12A and 145V respectively) are measured in parallel field tests. One third module of each pair is stored in darkness and serves as a comparison module. The PV modules are installed in an optimal inclination and orientation angle. The CRES premises direct distance from the sea is 6km.
- Every 15 seconds the PV module short-circuit current and open circuit voltage as well as the current and voltage at the MPP are measured and recorded, while the PV module entire voltage and current characteristic curves are captured in 1 min intervals (one minute cycle). Between two successive measurements the PV modules forced to work near to the MPP for high irradiation levels. In addition, the irradiance on module level and the rear module surface temperature and well as the field meteorological data are measured and recorded in the same time stamp (15 seconds).
IR Thermal Camera
- 76,800 pixels (320 x 240) Infrared resolution
- Temperature Range from -20 °C to + 650 °C
- with useful volume of 5 m3 for housing the PV modules.
- Capability of temperature control in the range from -40 oC to 85 oC, for the implementation of thermal cycling tests.
- UVA and UVB lighting.
- Automatized controls
LIMITATIONS OR CONSTRAINTS :
- The access will be allowed with technical and scientific assistance from AIT
TYPICAL SERVICES OR RESULTS
Partecipation to join PV RTD projects and collaboration with industrial partners
Participation to Research Projects:
- DERLAB – www.der-lab.net and with the collaboration of the national PV production companies.
- DERri - Distributed Energy Resources Research Infrastructure.
- Various research projects are carried out in collaboration with industrial partners, the national PV market and research institutes