Quantsol Summer School 2018 in Hirschegg, Austria
The upcoming „International Summer School on Photovoltaics and New Concepts of Quantum Solar Energy Conversion (Quantsol)“ will be held from September 2-9, 2018 in Hirschegg, Kleinwalsertal, Austria.
It is open for application until May 18 and addresses young postdocs, PhD students, and advanced master students at universities, research institutes and industry with an interest in solar energy conversion.
Recognized speakers from leading world institutions will be covering a wide range of topics on the fundamental principles of solar energy conversion into electrical and chemical energy as well as the physical and technical challenges.
The school will follow the tradition of previous very successful summer schools in 1998, 2001, 2003, 2006-2017. It is organized to be very interactive and the participants and speakers are requested to present their field of research and themselves in a short oral presentation on the first day of the school.
Subject of the school are
- Climate change
- Energy scenarios
- Principles of photovoltaics
- Principles of photoelectrochemistry
- Thermodynamics of solar energy conversion
- Crystalline silicon solar cells
- Thin-film solar cells (silicon, CdTe, CIGS)
- Plastic solar cellsPerovskite solar cells
- Multi junction solar cells with ultimate efficiences (III-V)
- Material properties
- Light harvesting and spectral conversion
- Semiconductor nanostructures and quantum dots
- Photovoltaics on the TW scale
- Solar fuel production
- Solar cell simulation
Confirmed speakers are
- P. Würfel (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, GER)
- R. van de Krol (HZB, GER)
- K. Jäger (HZB, GER)
- T. Unold (HZB,GER)
- D. Vanmaekelbergh (University of Utrecht, NL)
- R. MacQueen (HZB, GER)
- T. Hannappel (TU Ilmenau, GER)
- K. Lips (HZB, GER)
- J.C. Hummelen (University Groningen, NL)
- R. Santbergen (TU Delft, NL)
- E. Unger (Lund University, SWE; HZB, GER)
The lectures will be given in the mountain guesthouse „Darmstädter Haus“of the Technische Universität Darmstadt in Hirschegg (Kleinwalsertal, Austria), where all attendants and lecturers will be lodged.
The school fee is 450 € for participants from universities and research institutes and 590 € for participants from industry and includes board, lodging, and registration fee.
The school is limited to 55 selected students. In order to be able to judge on your qualification, you are requested to submit your curriculum vitae plus a short statement that justifies favorable consideration as a participant. Students that are accepted to participate in the summer school will be notified mid of June 2018 and are then asked to register by paying the school fee via bank transfer (credit cards are not accepted). Further details will be sent out with the notification of acceptance.
Organized and financed by:
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB)
Ilmenau University of Technology (TU Ilmenau)
The European Society for Quantum Solar Energy Conversion
Chair and organizers: Prof. Dr. Klaus Lips (HZB, GER)
Prof. Dr. Thomas Hannappel (TU Ilmenau, GER)
Contact for further information
Students who intend to participate in the summer school are required to apply through the weblink below.